One day, a wannabe writer decided to start a book review and analysis blog to get him thinking more about the books he was reading, and encourage him to write more. Then he started having delusions of grandeur, imagining that his blog would become super popular which would inevitably lead to income and lucrative book deals. He is still waiting.
My general goal in writing reviews is to give people an idea of if they would enjoy the book, and encourage them to read more. I’ll usually throw in a bit of analysis, too, if I think it will improve someone’s enjoyment of a book, but try not to spoil anything crucial to the plot.
As for me… I love reading and writing. I’m in my mid twenties. I live in Melbourne, Australia. I believe writing should be clear, honest and brave. My tastes are pretty varied, but I like books with a strong plot and relatable characters. To give you an idea of my preferences and prejudices, my favourite books are:
- The English Patient – Michael Ondaatje
- For Whom the Bell Tolls – Ernest Hemingway
- Kafka on the Shore – Haruki Murakami
- Watchmen – Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
- Maus – Art Spiegelmen
- Slaughterhouse 5 – Kurt Vonnegut
- His Dark Materials trilogy – Phillip Pullman
- Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoevsky
- The Lord of the Rings – J.R.R. Tolkein
- Kim – Rudyard Kipling